Tuesday, March 19, 2013

SPICY RED VODKA SAUCE

When I really had to start cooking on my own, not just for fun, I would never stray from a recipe and its measurements. It was Mike who would always push me to take a recipe and make it my own and even though it's taken me years to be confident about it, I can happily say today I am not shy about putting my own twist on recipes. 
My mom is out of town this week visiting my sister, so Kensi and I get to run the kitchen completely. Last night we made ravioli with vodka sauce. I think I've had vodka sauce once before and I wasn't a huge fan, but last night I decided to give it a try. I had a basic recipe to follow and I added my own ingredients as well. It was delicious and my dad and Mike really enjoyed it too. 

I loved having my little helper while I made dinner last night. She had just woken up from a late nap and she seriously had the best nap hair ever! 
I bought a couple packages of the refrigerated ravioli from Costco....the one in the pictures is shamrock shaped...I know, it's kinda awesome! They were really good FYI, made with Irish cheeses......so good!

Spicy Red Vodka Sauce
2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1/2 White Onion (chopped)
2 Garlic Cloves (minced)
1/4 Vodka
1/4 Half & Half OR Heavy Cream
1 can Crushed Tomatoes (28 oz)
1/4 cup Fresh Parsley (chopped) OR 1-1/2 teaspoons Dried Parsley
1/2 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
Salt & Pepper to taste

*I season each layer of my food with a little salt and pepper*
In a large skillet or sauce pan melt butter with olive oil over medium heat and add onions. Cook for 2 minutes, then add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add vodka and let simmer for 3 - 5 minutes or until it reduces and the alcohol has cooked off. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes. 
(Hubby hates chunks of tomatoes, so I either mash them or puree the sauce at the end for a smooth consistency)
Add Half & Half and cook 5 - 10 minutes. Add parsley and red pepper flakes and serve over your favorite pasta.




Post a Comment

Sprinkles On Top © . Design by FCD.