Tuesday, November 29, 2016

leftover pumpkins

I officially have a pie pouch. After having Olivia and having to take things slow as I've been going to physical therapy for diastasis recti; I haven't gone back to excersing regularly as I had hope and this past week I ate way too much pie. It’s definitely showing, but I enjoyed every bite I ate. This is not the ideal time of year to kickstart an exercise routine especially when I’m baking in the kitchen, but   I'm ready to jump back into my regular schedule. That is after I’m done making all these delicious ingredients for more pie.

Over the weekend we started decorating for Christmas and put away all our fall decor. This year I bought several pie pumpkins for the season and spent the last couple days roasting and making homemade pumpkin purée for all my baking needs in the upcoming year. No joke...I have over 25 bags of pumpkin each filled with 16oz. I have so much pumpkin I could seriously open a bakery with a speciality for pumpkin desserts. If you're reading this and you live near me and need or want pumpkin, please just ask. I'm happy to share! 


Making pumpkin purée is simple and makes purchasing pumpkins for the fall season easier on the budget since they pull double duty. I roasted all our pie pumpkins, a cinderella pumpkin and a fairytale pumpkin so far. I still have two other pumpkins but I'm only opening them to clean, dry + freeze the seeds for planting next year. 


I start by washing the skin of the pumpkin and slicing off the stem. Then, cut the pumpkin in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and discard them or set them aside to roast later. Drizzle the inside of each pumpkin half with oil and place face down on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 50 minutes. For the larger heirloom pumpkins the baking time needs to be adjusted to 60-70 minutes. Remove pumpkins and let cool. Once cooled peel away the skin and discard. Place roasted pumpkin in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Scoop 16 ounces of puréed pumpkin into labeled plastic zip bags and lay flat in the freezer. 


Each pie pumpkin is nearly the equivalent to one can of store-bought puréed pumpkin. This is so simple and a great way to use every bit of the gorgeous pumpkin that brought so much warmth and joy during Halloween and thanksgiving! 

Post a Comment

Sprinkles On Top © . Design by FCD.