Tuesday, September 20, 2016

game day food: nebraska runzas

I flaked out the past week with blog posts. I had every intention of sharing our Runza recipe in time for Saturday’s game day food post and it didn’t happen. We had a busy week and I let it get away from me, but I also admit when we made Runzas for dinner earlier in the week for this post specifically, they turned out looking terrible and I quickly called my big sis to save me so I could fix my mistakes and have it blog worthy. So I apologize for anyone who wanted this recipe for the weekend, but I hope you can enjoy for our next game day. 

The best way for me to describe a Runza is that it’s similar to a calzone, except it’s filled with an onion-cabbage-hamburger mix with special add ins. The typical Runza is filled with cheese and that’s it. Our favorite is the mushroom-swiss version and we do this by sautéing baby bella mushrooms with butter, adding it on top of the hamburger mixture and then topping it with swiss cheese before sealing the pocket of dough. Mike is not always a fan of the cabbage added into the basic mixture so my quantities are probably different than my sister’s original recipe. 

Nebraska Runzas
makes 8 
1 lb. Hamburger 
1/2 White Onion, finely chopped
1/2 bag Cabbage, shredded
16  Rhodes Frozen Dinner Rolls
1 - 8oz bag Shredded Cheese of choice, (we recommend Swiss or Cheddar)
Melted Butter for brushing

Begin by browning the hamburger and onion together in a pan and season with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, thaw the Rhodes Rolls in the microwave for 15 seconds on each side. The dough should be pliable. Stack two rolls on top of each other and roll out gently. When done, there should be 8 flattened rounds of dough. 
Once the hamburger is done, drain off any extra fat. Add the shredded cabbage to the hamburger mixture and cook until just wilted and remove from heat. 
Now it’s time to fill our Runzas. Place about 1/4 cup of the hamburger mixtures and place on one half of the rolled out dough. Sprinkle cheese of choice on top of the meat mixture. Fold the dough over the meat + cheese. Brush the edges of the inside of the roll with water. To seal either use a fork or your fingers to pinch shut. We like to use a pastry crimper. Continue with remaining dough and hamburger mixture and place Runzas on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush each Runza with melted butter and bake at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. 

Post a Comment

Sprinkles On Top © . Design by FCD.