Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Turkey In Pieces + Thanksgiving Sides

The kids have been making a few turkey decorations for our thanksgiving dinner and I can hardly wait to spend the day relaxing with my crew and eating all the best cozy foods! While we prep for Thursday, we also setup a Christmas tree in the playroom and let the kids decorate it for the week to keep them busy. It’s definitely done it’s job as they’ve been spending long periods of time in there taking the ornaments on and off the tree. I can’t wait for Friday when we fully decorate for Christmas!


If you happen to follow me on Instagram (@rachbraden) then you may have seen my little blurb about a new turkey recipe we tried over the weekend which had us cutting our turkey into pieces: breast, legs, thighs and wings. I’m an avid Food Network watcher and caught a few episodes of Farmhouse Rules with Nancy Fuller last week. She shared a turkey recipe that had me raising my eyebrows and questioning everything I’ve ever learned and been taught about roasting a turkey.

As I watched her in awe explain each step in her Gigi’s Thanksgiving turkey recipe I called my mom and began throwing all my questions at her. Neither of us had ever seen a turkey done in pieces, but we were intrigued. We read the reviews from the recipe online and every single person wrote how much they loved this particular recipes and they vowed they wouldn’t make a turkey any other way. Mike and I decided we would let our friends be our guinea pigs so we could try this recipe and give our family either a thumbs up or thumbs down.

We started by butchering our turkey Friday night in preparation for Saturday Friendsgiving. This can be done by the butcher at the store, but we bought our turkey frozen and conquered it ourselves and placed the turkey parts on a rimmed baking sheet to chill in the fridge. It really wasn’t difficult at all, but we watched a few YouTube videos to know exactly what to do.

Early Saturday afternoon we started making our turkey. This recipe braises the legs and thighs on the stove in liquid that becomes the gravy and then roast the breast in the oven. Everything is suppose to cook and be done in under three hours, but this was not true in our case. Everything was done much sooner, even with doing a larger turkey. So it’s really important to monitor the breast by temperature rather than time. We shaved off about 45 minutes of cooking time.

In the past turkey has always been delicious, but we always have so much left over and the dark meat is not usually eaten....but, not this time. This turkey was so flavorful and moist! The dark meat was ALL gone and we have very little turkey leftover. This recipe was incredibly easy and we’ll be making our turkey on Thursday this exact same way! No more dried out meat, no uneven cooking, no more waiting for hours, it was awesome! I really hope you give this recipe a try (link is at the bottom with the other recipes) and let us know how it worked for you 💛

Other recipes I’m sharing with you today for the most festive season of all include a few sides and a link to our favorite homemade apple pie. At our Friendsgiving everyone brought a dish or two to share with the group. I love green beans, especially green bean casserole, but I’m the only one that usually eats it at our house, but my friend Amanda made super cute green bean bundles wrapped in bacon and I fell in love! I believe I ate six bundles and I had to have the recipe and I have to share it with all of you!

Wishing you all a very Happy Thanksgiving this week!

Roasted & Braised Turkey 

Green Bean Bundles 

Buttered Rosemary Rolls

French Apple Pie

Post a Comment

Sprinkles On Top © . Design by FCD.