Monday, February 5, 2018

DIY Hand Soap

I love buying soap in all the best scents and pretty bottles, I’ve always been such a sucker for them! However, since having kids I’ve been much more aware of the products we use and hand soap is one of the most commonly used items in our house because it’s used everyday, multiple times a day. In my mind, safe soap is a must!  I frequently purchase the more natural options at Target, but after scanning my beloved natural soaps on the Think Dirty app, their fragrances scored high in toxicity and I knew it would be worth it to try an easy diy recipe for our family as we continue to ditch and switch this year. (Follow me on instagram @wildandgrape for more essential oil + wellness how to’s)

My favorite part of making our own hand soaps is I have the freedom to mix and match my essential oils for whatever combination I want. I love following different DIY blogs such as Hello Glow, and finding awesome oil combinations for this exact reason. Everyone has tons of ideas and that’s the beauty of blogging, sharing!


// Favorite Essential Oil Combos //
(30 drop combos)
Cozy Feels: 15 drops thieves + 15 drops tangerine
Pure Magic: 12 drops joy + 18 drops lavender
Spring Fever: 12 drops lemongrass + 18 drops ginger
Fresh & Clean: 11 drops lemon + 11 drops lavender + 8 drops peppermint
Happiness: 11 drops basil + 7 drops orange + 7 drops lime + 5 drops fir
Anthro Favorite: 11 drops grapefruit + 11 drops tangerine + 6 drops idaho blue spruce + 2 drops joy
Fresh Linen: 12 drops lavender + 10 drops grapefruit + 6 drops melaleuca 
Citrus Bliss: 14 drops grapefruit + 9 drops lime + 7 drops bergamot

To make our own hand soaps we use Castile soap and there are dozens of uses for this product. It can seem a little pricey, but a little goes a long ways. Some of my favorite uses include diy makeup remover pads and body wash. I love buying the large bottles and keeping it on hand in our laundry room. Along with the Castile soap, we’ll also use a distilled water and a carrier oil. The carrier oil is the moisturizer and I like to add a little more than most recipes because my hands tend to easily dry out. There are several different carrier oils to choose from including fractionated coconut oil, jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, apricot oil, grapeseed oil, safflower, etc. It’s important to know if there is a tree nut allergy in the home it’s safer to avoid sweet almond oil.


DIY Hand Soap
8 oz bottle with pump (found here and here)
1/2 cup distilled water
1/2 cup castile soap (found here)
2 tablespoons carrier oil (fractionated coconut oil)
30 drops essnetial oils

In the bottle add water, castile soap, carrier oil and essential oil drops. Adding the water first avoids making the mixture too bubbly. This mixture is definitely thin and may work well for a foam pump. Mix well and start pumping for the best hand washing!

Post a Comment

Sprinkles On Top © . Design by FCD.