Monday, May 6, 2013

FIESTA LIKE THERE'S NO MAÑANA

We hope all of you we're able to celebrate this weekend. Here we love to celebrate anything and everything. We'll find any excuse to have a party! We spent the morning prepping our house for family to come over and we had different items sizzling away on the stove.
Our menu was simple, fun and so delish! My dad and brother Dave always have a little competition between their salsas, and I swear no two are ever the same, but they're always amazing. With salsas for starters we enjoyed chicken pasole, chile rellenos and beef carnitas for dinner and finished the night with my quick and easy tres leches cake.

CHEATER TRES LECHES CAKE
1 boxed yellow cake mix
1 can evaporated milk
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 can whipped cream

Bake the yellow cake mix according to the directions. (I use 1 cup of sparkling water instead of tap water to add more fluffiness to the cake).
Let the cake cool for 15 minutes and invert it onto a platter. Using a skewer or a fork poke holes all over the top of the cake.
Mix the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk and heavy cream together and pour over the cake. The cake will absorb the milk and don't be afraid if it looks like its drowning in it! Refrigerate the cake for at least one hour.
Before serving, top the cake with the can if whipped cream. You can also garnish the cake with cherries, coconut, or cinnamon.
By the time I got my slice of cake, more than half of it was gone. So please excuse the paper bowl and quick, sloppy photo :)

I adore this photo of us! We had so much fun celebrating Cinco de Mayo, but this picture cracks me up because 1) Mike is barely smiling as he's trying to keep his mustache on 2) My mustache is upside down 3) Kensi's hands are being held because she kept trying to pull her mustache off and eating it!

My hilarious and crazy dad! By the way he's going to freak out if he knows I put this on here ;)

My very sweet little niece was a little scared when we had her put on the mustache, so in hopes of cheering her up we told her the baby could wear it....looks like it worked!

We seriously had so much fun celebrating. I took so many pictures of everyone wearing their mustaches, but they would have killed me for posting them and I don't think you want to be bored with photo after photo of my family wearing wigs over their lips.
Although, I will share one more.....
My sis who lives out of state joined us via Skype....they participated as well ;) 
FYI we're planning on celebrating the Italian Republic day on June 2nd....be ready for more fun!

Post a Comment

Sprinkles On Top © . Design by FCD.