Sunday, May 15, 2016

nebraska bred girl

At my last doctors appointment I was informed I'm nearly anemic and the prescription given is to eat red meat three times a week, along with tons of dark leafy greens and dairy. I'm to eat with purpose! Mike thinks it's the greatest news ever received.  However, it throws a wrench into my mostly chicken and fish meal plans, but this Nebraksa bred girl can definitely handle it. I am not one to designate certain days of the week to a weekly committed meal such as every Monday is spaghetti sort of thing. I like to mix it up by trying a new recipe each week and having several different cuisines, but since that appointment I’ve been swapping what I usually make with chicken out for ground beef and chuck roasts. A simple swap out and easy fix that still tastes good. In honor of red meat {sorry to anyone who's vegetarian or vegan} I'm sharing a few of our favorite meat dishes. 
Lately, I've been craving Mexican food and I could eat tacos from my favorite local restaurant or Chipotle until the cows come home. That and salsa. Sometimes I just need the chips and salsa. This quote cracks me up and when I really think about it, I think I would just die. 
But to feed my cravings at home we make my dad's salsa and this delicious Beef Carnitas recipe. When this baby is cooking, it takes everything in me to wait until it's done. I love serving it with my chipotle lime rice, slices of avocado, cilantro, cheese and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. They’re a little messy to eat, but I promise every bite it well worth it!

Chipotle Lime Rice
1 cup Long Grain Rice
2 cups Water or Chicken Stock
1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
A pinch of Salt
1 to 2 canned Chipotle Pepper, chopped & mashed with sauce, add more or less depending on how spicy you want. 
2 Tablespoons Cilantro, chopped
1 Lime, juiced

In a saucepan combine rice, water, butter, salt and chipotle pepper. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Once boiling turn down to a simmer and cover for 20 minutes or until rice is done. Stir in lime juice and cilantro to serve.

A few other favorites my family and I really enjoy have been found on one of my favorite go to food blogs, Damn Delicious. I’ve been following Chungha for a few years now and I have yet to be disappointed by one of her incredible recipes. Her lettuce wraps have several ingredients, but they’re really easy to throw together. And I cannot stress enough about how awesome her fried rice recipes taste.

Lettuce Wraps
{swap the chicken out for beef}
Recipe from Damn Delicious 
Greek Nachos
Recipe from Not Without Salt
  Fried Rice 
{Top any fried rice with a fried egg, you will not be disappointed!!! Swap chicken out for beef}
Recipes from Damn Delicious 
Easy Skillet Spaghetti
{recipe below}

All these recipes are devouring worthy, satisfy preggo cravings and give me the iron I need to keep this baby baking! I love the simplicity of each recipe and the fact they’re quick to toss together and make for great weeknight meals. I hope you and your family take the time to try one or more and please let me know how it turned out in the comments. I love hearing back from our readers!

Easy Skillet Spaghetti
1 lb. Ground Beef
6 oz can Tomato Paste
18 oz Tomato Juice
3 cups Water
2 teaspoons Chili Powder
1 teaspoon Garlic Salt
1 teaspoon Oregano, dried
2 Tablespoons Minced Onion, dried
7 oz Ready Cut Spaghetti
Fresh Basil, chopped

Cook hamburger in a large skillet and drain off excess grease. To the hamburger, add tomato paste, tomato juice, water, chili powder, garlic salt, oregano, onion and ready cut spaghetti. Cover and bring to a boil, simmer 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
 Top with fresh basil and serve.

Post a Comment

Sprinkles On Top © . Design by FCD.