Friday, September 8, 2017

First Day of School

This week was full of first days for our oldest with dance, soccer and most importantly...school. Our sweet Kensi girl turned five earlier this summer and although she was eligible to begin kindergarten this fall we opted to hold her back and send her to pre-kindergarten instead. Mike and I struggled with this decision throughout this last year, but this week assured us we made the right choice for our girl. She was so anxious the day before she started. Scared because it was new and she wasn’t sure if she would know anyone in her class. When her first day came, we all went to walk her to her classroom. She found her hook for her backpack and slowly walked over to her seat to begin coloring. Watching your baby step into the big world is not only hard, it’s terrifying. I found myself wondering if she would be brave, try new things, if she would be okay without us, what would happen if she got upset, would the other kids be kind, would she be kind? I hate it when we are blindsided by the enemy and he floods our minds with these terrible thoughts and questions. We know our child. We know she is caring, loving, intelligent and kind. We know she can be a leader. We know she has an incredible teacher. We know God heard our prayers and He has her. I watched Kensi take a deep breath in her seat and pick up a crayon to begin coloring her paper. She knew it was time to be brave and take on this adventure. And she did.




When we got home and Mike went to work, I sat in our living room with Finn and Olivia who went into complete destroy mode getting every toy out of the playroom. I sat there waiting for the time to pass to go pick up Kensi. This was one of our longest mornings to date. When the alarm on my phone went off to start packing the kids up, I quickly loaded the car and drove to her school where I waited in the pick up line for her. When she walked out of the school and to our car my heart skipped a beat and I couldn’t wait to hold her. The first thing out of her mouth was “It was SO much FUN!” She began telling me all about her day, the new friends she made, the books they read, the games they played and I was overcome with emotion and tears of joy. She was so happy and I knew we made the right choice for her schooling.

The funniest story came from her lunch experience. She discovered I had packed two Starburst candies for her and she excitedly ate one first. A student next to her told her she shouldn’t be eating her candy until she had eaten the rest of her healthy food. Kensi said she sat there and when the student got up to get something, she quickly unwrapped it and popped it in her mouth. “I was thinking, it’s my lunch and I can eat it how I want to eat. Right, mom? Plus! It’s was only two candies, not a whole lot!” Sure baby girl. She was less than pleased to be told by another classmate how she needed to eat. Oh sweet girl, you are so cute and funny in how you see world. We are so
excited to watch her grow and bloom this year in her awesome preK class!

Post a Comment

Sprinkles On Top © . Design by FCD.