Monday, March 26, 2012

Accident Clean Up

Mike and I have had our dog, Stella, for almost three years. When we first got her we lived in a fourth floor apartment with no elevator. I know it sounds like we had so much fun everyday walking up and down especially with groceries! Anyways, we decided to train her with a puppy pad instead of having to go down the stairs every time she need to do her thing. Unfortunately, she did have accidents, especially during her first year. I think we literally tried every single product out there that promises stain removal, but we never were able to completely remove any one stain.


So now fast forwarding almost three years later...after moving in with my parents we had to retrain our dog because of the new house and a new puppy pad location. I honestly could have spent the time to train her to go outside, but I truly did not want to put the effort into it since she basically knows how to use the puppy pad. Of course she had many accidents during the first month on the carpet. My parents have cream colored carpet so you can imagine the look of the stains and the smell. Absolutely horrible! I have always been the type of person to try home remedies before buying a product, needless to say I did not do that with pet stains. I decided to Google some home recipes and came across one that I must share. The process takes a little bit of time, but the results are amazing!

So here it is....


 
Ingredients:
  • 1 part white vinegar
  • 1 part water 
  • Baking Soda 
  • 3/4 cup 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
  • 1 teaspoon white Ivory liquid soap 

***Make sure you test this on a very small piece of carpet before using, I would hate for it to bleach your carpet!!!

 ***I cannot stress the importance of the 3% Hydrogen Peroxide enough!!! DO NOT use anything that has more than 3% because it may probably will bleach your carpet!!!

***I also only use white Ivory liquid soap for two reasons: 1)It seriously gets out all stains I have come across. I have used it on my couch to get out permanent marker and on my Coach purse. It really is a miracle worker when a few drops are mixed with very warm water. 2) Because it's white and not a colored soap, it won't leave any color behind for you to clean up.



Directions:
  • Use a paper towel or rag to absorb as much of the yearn as possible. Next mix your white vinegar and water. I like to use a bottle I picked up at the beauty supply shop usually used for coloring your hair. 
  • Squirt the mixture on the spot and scrub with a cleaning brush. The vinegar will help destroy the smell of the ammonia in the yearn so the pet shouldn't find the spot again. Use a rag to blot dry. 
  • Next sprinkle the spot with some baking soda. 
  • Now mix the Hydrogen Peroxide with the 1 tsp. of liquid soap (you can use the same bottle you used before for the vinegar, just rinse it out). And squirt the mixture onto the baking soda and scrub it into the carpet using your brush.
  • Once the spot(s) is/are dry, go over them with a vacuum and you're done!
Like I mentioned above, this does a little bit of time, but I honestly have not seen better results! I really like this recipe because it doesn't involve super harsh chemicals and I can use this around children and while being pregnant.

Post a Comment

Sprinkles On Top © . Design by FCD.