Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Baby Registry

I have had quite a few people ask me what I put on our baby registry. This task for a FTM (first time mom) can be so unbelievably overwhelming because there are just a few SO many items out there for babies, whether you find them all to be necessary or not. I did search for a guideline as to what to register for and came across The Bump Checklist which was helpful. Every mom-to-be is different so what I chose for my family may not be right for your family. Once I decided what items were necessary I did research which brand had the best reviews and so on. Here are a few of my favorite items and why we chose to put them on our baby registry.


Starting at the top left hand corner and going clockwise...

  • Born Free Classic Bottles - I plan on breastfeeding Baby B, but I want the baby to be able to take a bottle as well. This will give Mike a chance to bond with the baby during feedings and make it possible for me to be away from Baby B if need be. Needless to say, we also registered for breast milk storage bottles and freezer bags. I did research the millions of different bottles, (okay okay) several different bottles, Born Free had top reviews along with Dr. Browns. Most moms (and dads I'm sure!) said they were the best bottles that didn't leak. I did however read the Dr. Brown bottles have tons of parts and it can be a pain to wash, assemble, etc. Us new mommas do not have time for that! I also LOVE that the Born Free bottles are also available in glass, in case you're worried about your little munchkin drinking out of plastic.
  • Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breast Pump - just as I mentioned, I am planning on breastfeeding, no need to say more....but we also registered for the Medela Breast Pump Accessory Set just in case a piece breaks or somehow goes missing....you never know!
  • Baby K'tan Carrier - Honestly, you can't be carrying the baby every second of the day, you have to get things done! There are many baby carriers out there. The only thing I can suggest is go to the store, try them on. Ask yourself if it's easy enough for you to put it on by yourself or not....some carriers can be very complicated. We also registered for the ERGObaby carrier because once again, top reviews and it works better for when the baby gets bigger. It can be used on your belly or your back. I did look into the Baby Bjorn carrier, however I don't care for that one nearly as much because the baby sits more on its pelvis rather than it's bottom, which I've read can be very uncomfortable and strain their itty bitty hips.
  • Bright Stars Ingenuity Automatic Bouncer - I fell in love with this bounce (I hope Baby B does too) because it's automatic like a swing. We do already have swing that we purchased at a crazy low price, but the nice thing about a little bouncer is you can take it with you when visiting Grandma and Grandpa's house!
  • Imaginarium Sensory Balls - I have a degree in Early Childhood Education and spent nearly the last 2 1/2 years teaching at a preschool for children birth-kindergarten. It is amazing how much infants learn through sensory play. I really like these sensory balls because they're textured which make them easier to grip as baby gets older. I'll post more tips in a later post about other sensory items to use with your babies too.
  • Aden + Anais Swaddle Blankets - Your precious little sweet pea just spent 9 months in a super warm and snug environment you created for them. They're going to love being wrapped up just like they're use to in your belly. These again had fantastic reviews ;) I also love that you can use them for multiple purposes: breastfeeding cover-up, burp cloth, blanket and of course for swaddling.
  • Baby Jogger City Mini Stroller - All I can say is....test it out and you may fall in love just as my husband and I did. It is sleek, very functional and the best part......get ready.....it only take ONE HAND TO FOLD IT UP! Amazing! It comes in different colors (Crimson, Blue, Green and Black) we of course registered for black to stay neutral. They also make different accessories such as car seat bar, weather canopy, belly bars and parent consoles. You can completely make it your own and I love that. 
  • Puj Baby Bath Tub -  One of my sisters actually told me about this sweet little thing and wished she had it when her kids were infants. This is really nice if you're tight on space. This little bath tub folds and fits into the sink and when you're done you can put it away in cabinet or closet or hang it. 
  • Rock N Play Sleeper - Because we recently moved and are living with my parents, we are keeping the baby in our room. Of course the baby will have a crib and everything, but I really wanted this sleeper so I could keep it right next to my side of the bed in order to make feeding easier. The sleeper also folds up and can travel easily. Another bonus....it rocks manually instead of being a stationary piece.
  • Aprica Haven Open Air Play Yard - I really dislike character prints on baby products. It's just not me. I also didn't like the play yards that have all the extra accessories. I'm sure they're really convenient, but to me it made them seem bulky and once I looked into the weight capacities (up to 15lbs for the bassinets, etc) we felt we would rather have something simple and easy to fold up. This is also why we wanted to get the Rock N Play Sleeper to use as the bassinet because it was easier to tote around. 
Again, these are items that we felt fit us the best and hopefully we'll feel the same way once we actually use them, if not we will definitely let you know!
When you do make your registry, do the research. Just because something looks cute doesn't mean it's practical or that it will fit your needs the best. We hope these tips help you when you create your registry and feel free to share some of your must haves as well! Who knows...maybe Mike and I completely missed something. If we did let us know! :)

3 comments so far

  1. Great ideas! I also have the City Mini stroller and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got the City Mini too (in blue)...it's AMAZING!!! As soon as we saw it in the store we of course had to practice driving it around...I actually lost John for about 15 minutes because he was fascinated with how it handled all the corners and turns, lol.

    I also have the Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breast Pump (in the backpack style)...obviously I haven't used it yet since baby H isn't here yet but I have at least practiced assembling it and it seems super easy to use and I love how everything just packs up all in one bag, no worry of losing something or having to carry along multiple pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats in your pregnancy!! I love your blog so far and can't wait to see your little one. I am a preschool teacher for 2 year olds and have a 7 month old son and words can't describe how much love him and it just keeps growing every day and make sure to treasure and capture every moment because they literally fly by! I have a few suggestions for your registry that I absolutely loved and do did my son... The first is the boppy a must have breastfeeding best friend, then the 2 in 1 swaddle sacks (since baby can't sleep with blankets til after the first year sleep sacks are amazing and the swaddle sacks have an extra piece that swaddles your baby like a receiving blanket and then converts to just a regular Sleepsack), lanolin, beaudrouxs buttpaste (in my opinion one of the best diaper creams), and the baby bullet. I don't know if you are planning on making your own baby food but if you do I highly recommend this I love it, it's so easy and can go in the dishwasher and I would recommend the website www.wholesomebabyfood.com if you do try homemade baby food, it's a great resource and has great advice, suggestions, and recipes! Good luck to you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete

Sprinkles On Top © . Design by FCD.