Wednesday, January 13, 2016

cherry + almonds + younger

After restocking the fridge and pantry earlier this week, I hit up Pinterest for some healthier versions of desserts to satisfy my never-ending sweet tooth. There's no way I can cut out sweets for good, so why not improvise. 
I found so many delicious looking yums I can hardly wait to bake up in the kitchen. I started a couple last Wednesday morning and they've been winners so far. Let's hope they keep up the streak! 

To help with something to grab for breakfast I came up with a Cherry-Almond scones. I love the flavor of almond, but only use real extract. Never imitation, the flavor just doesn't compare. Whole Foods is a great store to find real extracts and they don't necessary break the bank. As for the cherries, I used sweet frozen cherries, but I'm sure any kind will do, just expect a bit of a change in flavor if you choose tart cherries. 

Cherry-Almond Scones
1 cup All Purpose Flour
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
3 Tablespoons Sugar in the Raw
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
6 Tablespoons cold Unsalted Butter, cubed
1 cup Milk, plus 1 Tablespoon divided
1/4 teaspoon Pure Almond Extract
1 cup Frozen Sweet Cherries, slightly thawed and chopped


Almond Drizzle
1-1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
4 Tablespoons Milk
1/2 teaspoon Pure Almond Extract
1/4 cup Sliced Almonds for garnish

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl mix flours, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in butter using a pastry cutter or a fork.  Add one cup of milk and almond extract and stir until a dough begins to form. Gently fold in cherries. 
Transfer dough to a floured surface, it will be sticky. Use flour to help keep it from sticking to your hands and the countertop. Roll into a circle about 3/4 inch thick. Cut the scones into even triangles and place on the lined baking sheet. Brush each scone with the remaining 1 tablespoon of milk.
Bake 15-18 minutes or until lightly golden brown.

Make the Almond Drizzle. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk together until it forms a drizzle. Once scones are done baking, allow them to cool. Once cooled drizzle the glaze over each scone and top with sliced almonds.


Another indulgence I can't wait for tonight, Younger!!! I watched the first season when it aired last summer and I have been dying over here for the past six months waiting for season two. I find the shower to be flirty and hilarious and it even sucks my husband in. 
I love eating my desserts while watching my favorite shows with the hubster and we've been itching for brownies. I thought I would give Amazing Flourless Brownies from SkinnyTaste a whirl and surprisingly were pretty good. Kensi ate them because it was chocolate and she's was totally like whatever. Nothing is going to stop that girl from eating her chocolate. Although, if I'm being honest the act of adding beans to my chocolate was a little disturbing, but if they're healthy then I get to eat more than one right? Who am I kidding? Black beans or not, I'm still eating more than one....or four. 
Share your favorite indulgences in a comment below, we would love to hear from our readers! 

Post a Comment

Sprinkles On Top © . Design by FCD.