Monday, April 11, 2016

fresh berry pie

This year I'm focusing on organizing our most favorite recipes and whenever I get excited about organizing I always buy something to make it fun. I have several recipe books and printed recipes, but there's just so many I can never find them when I need them. I found this super cute Rifle Paper Co. Recipe Box which forces me to take the time to write our favorites out and keep them all together. It sounds like work, but I love to write and I think about the legacy it will leave for our children.

We're getting closer to berry season here in coastal Carolina and I'm sharing my favorite recipes for our readers to take advantage of all the deliciousness of the sweet berries. One of my favorite strawberry recipes is Fresh Strawberry Pie my mom always made us. The original recipe came from our old family friend, Betty, and it was shared with my mom who then passed it down to my sisters and I. Depending what berries are in season mom makes this with either strawberries or raspberries and it's the simplest pie that even someone who's not confident in kitchen can make. Plus...no oven required!!!

Fresh Berry Pie
1 Graham Cracker Crust, store-bought
16 oz Fresh Strawberries, sliced OR Raspberries (whole)
1 (3 oz) package of Strawberry Jello OR Raspberry Jello 
1-1/2 cups Water
1 cup White Sugar
1 Tablespoon Cornstarch 

Slice strawberries and place in a large mixing bowl, set aside. 
Mix sugar and cornstarch together, then add to a saucepan with the water and jello mix. Stir and bring to a boil. Allow mixture to boil and thicken, making sure sugar and cornstarch dissolves about 1 to 2 minutes. Let jello mixture cool and pour over sliced strawberries. 
Transfer strawberry mixture into the prepared graham cracker crust. Place pie in the refrigerator and chill for 4 hours or until jello is set. Serve with fresh whipped cream.



Post a Comment

Sprinkles On Top © . Design by FCD.