Tuesday, August 30, 2016

I have big babies & I cannot lie

I've been absent from the blogging world for what seems like a long time. The past two weeks I was living day by day with contractions starting and stopping, my mom coming in town, trying to cram stuff in with Kensi and Finn before the baby arrived and trying everything I could to induce labor. I was stressing myself out and for no good reason. But I'm so excited to share our little girl made her debut last week. Please meet Olivia Reese...

Olivia Reese has made us a family of five and we are loving every nine pounds and two ounces {except the second day cluster feedings that always seem to happen at night for us....exhausting} of her. Kensi is so in love with her sister. We had to do a little work convincing her of Olivia's name. Kensi was dead set on Lucy, and although a beautiful name, we just didn't find it fitting for our baby girl. Kensi does call her Liv, Livy and Lulu and it's pretty heart melting every time Kensi holds her sister close and just turns into a complete chatterbox telling her all about us, what we're doing and what she can't wait to teach her when she gets a little bigger. 
The first few days Finn showed very little to ZERO interest in Olivia. Once we were home I sat Finn between Olivia and I and he nearly jumped off the couch and landed in my lap. In the last couple days he's transitioned from looking at her in the swing with this look of 'What is she still doing here!??!' to a cute little head tilt with a smile saying 'babe!' We're getting there slowly.

Olivia’s Birth Story
Olivia's birth story seemed as if it would never start. I really believed she would be early as I had contractions nearly every day for the previous two weeks leading up to her due date. I had an appointment the day before with my midwife and literally begged her to help get her out that week. My mom came to visit and help for two weeks and as of Wednesday one week would be gone. I was starting to stress out if the baby didn’t come for another seven days. They were able to set me up for an induction the next morning which was not my ideal birth plan whatsoever, but I was so ready to have this baby while my mom was in town. On top of that my midwife suggested an array of things to induce labor which I told her we’ve tried nearly everything and although contractions would start, they just wouldn’t stick around. Then she asked if I had tried castor oil and gave me the most bizarre recipe I’ve ever heard in my life. I asked her if she was kidding when she was done and she was definitely serious. This recipe included blending castor oil with ice cream + root beer and drinking it and then following it with two peanut butter cups. Totally bizarre! I opted not to try this crazy milkshake since I was set up for an induction the next morning, but I’ll be keeping this recipe on hand. 
I ended up waking up to contractions early Wednesday morning (the day of my induction) and hoped they would stick around so I wouldn’t have to be induced. Luckily, by the time we were asked to arrive at the hospital my contractions were consistent and 6 minutes apart and there was no need for pitocin, just like Finn! However, when the contractions and dilation started slowing down my midwife decided to strip my membranes for the third time in a week. I will be the first to say this part is definitely uncomfortable, but to me well worth not having to be medically induced. 
I was also able to get my epidural, which I definitely wanted after my experience with Finnley. The anesnteiologist arrived within 10 minutes of me asking and once he left I was in a complete state of relaxation. I had Mike turn down all the lights in the room and I just slept my way through labor. My room was spa-like and completely calm. The nurses were so respectful and quiet. It was eye opening for me to see how little sleep and relaxation I’ve given myself in the last few years. Being able to sleep without toddlers poking you and screaming down the hall is quite ah-maz-ing even if I was in the middle of labor. 
After almost five hours, I asked if we could break my water to speed things along. Once this happened and I changed positions it was nearly 15 minutes and I could feel enough pressure of baby girl's head and knew I was able to push. It didn't take much and she arrived. She was so calm and alert. She didn't cry until she was placed on my chest and getting cleaned up and then calmed down almost immediately. Mike cut the cord shortly after and we just took her in. 
Olivia's birth was the most relaxed and calming birth we've experienced with all three of our babies. Each one was very different and for different reasons. I adore my midwife and loved my experience. I was in charge of that room, and as long as I wasn't putting myself or our baby in danger I kept that control. The nurses were impeccable, respectful and reliable. We are so blessed and so thankful to God for our beautiful and healthy baby.   

Post a Comment

Sprinkles On Top © . Design by FCD.