Tuesday, December 22, 2015

the jolliest bunch of a**holes this side of the nuthouse

We're certainly jolly and we're certainly nutty over here. Last night our life group opted for a movie night. There's no greater movie than the notoriously obnoxious Christmas Vacation. I grew up watching this movie every Christmas with my older brothers. They would laugh hysterically and I would join along having no freakin idea why a line was so funny. I love this movie so much and it's so nostalgic for me. Mike and I enjoy watching Christmas Vacation several times during the Christmas season and again when we celebrate Christmas in July. It never gets old.


In honor of celebrating Christmas Griswold style, Mike and I made a nutty snack to tap into our nuthouse Giswold side. We made three different types of nuts: sweet & spicy, chocolate covered and candied. It's a perfect snack to put out for a crowd because there really is something that sparks joy for everyone.

Sweet & Spicy Cashews
Originally from our friend Sarah who made these for our super bowl party earlier this year. I couldn't keep my hands out of this bowl! It is the perfect balance of sweet, savory and spicy. 

16 oz Dry Roasted Cashews, unsalted
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Fresh Rosemary, finely chopped
1 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake nuts on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper for 5 minutes. While the nuts are baking, in a bowl mix together brown sugar, Rosemary, salt, cayenne and melted butter. When nuts are done, remove them from oven and add them into the butter mixture. Stir until the bits are evenly coated. Then, place the nut mixture back onto the lined baking sheet and bake 5 to 10 minutes or until lightly golden brown.


Chocolate Covered Peanuts
These sweet nuggets are so easy. All that's needed is salted peanuts and chocolate chips. Mike loves these and looks forward to them every year. 
Confession: I'm really sorry, but have zero measurements for this recipe. I simple throw a bag of semi sweet chocolate chips into a microwave safe glass bowl and heat in in 30 second intervals until it's smooth and melted. Then I toss in salted peanuts, mix it up and using two spoons I glob little nuggets on to my parchment paper. Pop them in the fridge for a couple hours for them to set up and serve! If you like more chocolate, then add less peanuts or vice versa.


Cinnamon Candied Almonds
You know the smell of those cinnamon almonds served up in paper cones at the malls? That's exactly what these are. I can never leave the mall without buying one and munching on them while shopping. It's an addiction and I'm so glad I can make them at home and save the extra cash. Plus the smell ignites Christmas spirit in your house. 

1 Egg White
1 Tablespoon Water
3 cups Raw Almonds
1/2 cup White Sugar
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
Pinch of Salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Mix sugars and cinnamon in a bowl and set aside. Whisk water and egg white until frothy. Fold almonds with fluffy egg white and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture. Mix until well coated. Spread almonds on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and bake for 25-30 minutes


All three of these recipes are not only delicious, but incredibly easy! I hope you get a chance to make them for a snack this Christmas and New Years! 

Post a Comment

Sprinkles On Top © . Design by FCD.