Wednesday, November 25, 2015

thanksgiving sweets, ginger-cider cheesecake

Anyone else get lots of food magazines? I have a select few I love and a few I got free from different products we’ve purchased. My favorite magazines are by far the seasonal holiday editions. I tend to buy a few random ones every year, in fact while I was still hanging out in the hospital with Finn last year, my mom brought me 4 or 5 different ones to help pass the time. 
A couple weeks ago I received the latest Better Homes and Gardens magazine. They featured a story on Kimberly Schlapman from a little country group called Little Big Town, you may have heard of her :) She shared some of her family recipes from her grandmother.....seriously guys those are the best ones to keep! We made her Maw Maw’s biscuits this weekend and they were nothing short of amazing. Another recipe I was dying to try (unfortunately not Kimberly’s) was the Ginger Cider Cheesecake.  After I read the ingredients to Mike {that’s what we do at night, read recipes to each other...that’s normal, right?} he said ‘we HAVE to make that for Thanksgiving!’ I completely agree with him, I would love to have this at Thanksgiving, but it is a new recipe so a backup pie in case this was a disaster needs to be ready to go!



I put everything together this morning and it was super simple! There is lots of ginger in this cheesecake, so if you’re not a fan just cut it back. There’s also a tart cranberry cider glaze that goes on top and it is beautiful. But I’m not sure if Kensi will dig it so it’s being left on the side and we can each drizzle our own on tomorrow. I did sneak a fork-full from the outside just so I could taste the ginger snap crust with the cheesecake and this baby did not disappoint! The gingersnap crust is the perfect pairing for the cheesecake. They compliment each other so well! I promise if you love ginger and cheesecake this will steal the spotlight on the dessert table!
I hope you enjoy, Happy Thanksgiving Eve!

Ginger-Cider Cheesecake
Hands On Time: 45 min.
Total Time: 5 hr, 15 min.
30 Gingersnaps (7oz) plus more for topping
1/4 cup Unsalted Butter, melted (1/2 stick)
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. White Sugar
3 - 8oz packages Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp. All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup Apple Cider
3 Eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup finely chopped Candied Ginger
2 Tbsp. grated Fresh Ginger

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. For crust, place the 30 gingersnaps in a food processor; process until fine. Add melted butter and the 1 Tbsp. white sugar, process until combined. Press mixture into bottom and 1-1/2 inches up the side of a 9-inch springform pan; set aside.
For filing, in a large bowl beat cream cheese, the remaining 1/2 cup white sugar, brown sugar, and flour with an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in cider until just combined. Stir in eggs, candied ginger, and fresh ginger. Pour into crust lined pan. Arrange additional gingersnaps over top. Place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until edges puff and center is nearly set.
Cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes. Use a knife to loosen cheesecake from sides of pan. Cool 30 minutes more. Remove sides of pan. Col completely. Cover. Chill 3 to 4 hours before serving.
To serve, spoon Cranberry Glaze over cheesecake. Sprinkle with fresh sage leaves, if desired. Makes 12 servings.

Cranberry Glaze
In a small saucepan combine 1 cup apple cider, 1 cup fresh cranberries, and 1/4 cup white sugar. Bring to boiling, stirring to dissolve sugar, reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, 25 minutes or until syrupy, Cool and serve.

Post a Comment

Sprinkles On Top © . Design by FCD.