Thursday, February 11, 2016

the sugar cookie disaster

Aren't they some of the cutest Valentine sugar cookies ever? When I first saw the original post on Pinterest from The Sweet Escape and knew Kensi and I would have a blast decorating them with the water color technique. We were both so excited and had such high hopes, but let me warn you, we've been working on these cookies for two days. 

We decided to find a 'fool proof' cut out sugar cookie from Pinterest and didn't want to bother with the one provided in the article, it seemed a little off to me, but my own luck was off. After trying two different 'The BEST Cut Out Sugar Cookie of All Time' recipes, both were epic FAILS!!! The cookies were far too soft and fell apart upon picking them up and didn't hold their shape enough for our X's and O's. My kitchen was completely covered in flour and sugar, dishes were falling out of the sink and every surface felt like it was growing a layer of cookies on it. It was quite the seen for Mike to come home to. Whoops!
So Mama to the rescue. I called my mom late Wednesday night in dyer need of the recipe we used for Christmas that I lost in my shuffle of paper clutter, which note to self....get a recipe box ASAP and write down favorite recipes! I think the culprit in both the failing recipes was too much butter and the absence of baking powder, causing the cookies to fall apart. 
So what's the recipe that finally did the trick and performed the biggest Valentine's miracle I've ever witnessed?!!? It's Wilton. Check out the recipe below and if you dare to make cut out sugar cookies, I hope this one works for as well as did for Kensi and me. But as I've learned with recipes, nothing is a guarantee so I won't dare say this is 'the best cut out sugar cookie of all time' although in my case it actually is! So as my husband says in the words of Liam Neeson...Good Luck.

Wilton Sugar Cookies
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 egg
2-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. 
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl and add to the butter mixture 1 cup at a time, mixing after each addition. 
Do not chill dough. Divide into two balls. On a floured surface roll each ball out into a circle approximately 1/4 inch thick. Dip cookie cutters in flour before each use. Bake cookies on parchment paper about 7 minutes or until cookies are lightly golden. 

Post a Comment

Sprinkles On Top © . Design by FCD.