Thursday, October 24, 2013

OCTOBER BABY: HALLOWEEN COSTUMES

I am ALWAYS the person to do things at the last minute....always! And Halloween costumes are no different. I know I planned on posting this much earlier in the month, but I've been looking for different pieces for our costumes all month long. This past weekend I was finally able to start Kensi's parrot costume and it had to be done this week because Mike is taking her to a Halloween party on Thursday night. Her costume isn't difficult at all. I used Martha Stewart's DIY tutorial {Click Here} as a guide to make our costumes this year, just as I did last year. Kensi's parrot costume is made of a onesie, safety pins and colored boas. Yes, that's it. This is a no sew costume for those out there who don't have a sewing machine or don't know how to sew. I picked up all her materials from the fabric store and bought her onesies from Carter's because they fit her so well. 

When trying to figure out how I was going to arrange the boas on the onesie for a parrot, I knew I had to do it a little differently than what Martha Stewart shows on her video. Her video after all is for a chicken costume and I didn't want Kensi to be as puffy, so I bought baby feather boas that are more fuzzy than feathery for the front. I did buy the large feather boas to create the back tail. I also did NOT add batting in-between the two onesies, I didn’t even sew them together. All I did was put a sleeveless onesie on first and then added the costume on top just to protect her little body from the safety pins touching her little body. I did buy the large feather boas to create the back tail.
The great thing about this costume is there’s really no wrong way to make it. You can use whatever colors you’d like. I saw a photo where they used all red large feather boas and then lined the neckline with one multicolored boa. I chose to use several different colors, to each their own! I also made Kensi a headband instead of a hat just to make it a little more girly for her.

As for our pirate costumes…I tried to keep it pretty simple and the cost down, using items we already had and buying a few inexpensive props at the store. Again, I used Martha Stewart’s tutorial and it really couldn’t be easier. {Click Here

Post a Comment

Sprinkles On Top © . Design by FCD.